Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Top Films 2013 & Most Anticipated 2014 Films


I'm a little late to the game, but as an avid film consumer, I thought I should on occasion add some cinematic inspired posts here. I present my top 5 films from 2013 (admittedly lacking, since there are a host of critically acclaimed films that I missed, some on purpose and others that I simply haven’t gotten around to seeing yet) as well as my most anticipated films of 2014.

MY 2013 TOP FIVE

5. The Way, Way Back: Heartbreakingly tragic and beautiful look at adolescence and growing up. Moments of laughter sprinkled throughout. Definitely worth it.

4. The Great Gatsby: I’m a bit of a sucker for Baz Luhrman’s unique directive vision (I love his Romeo + Juliet) and Gatsby oozed with it. The film captured the essence of the novel, in evoking the emptiness and loneliness of parties and extravagance. It looked amazing, but there was a haunting, tragic undercurrent to the entire film. The music was spot on, serving to bridge the world of Gatsby with our own, allowing a stronger connection between modern audiences and Gatsby and his associates.
3. Frozen: Entertaining and delightful. The songs are catchy and remain stuck in your head for days. In addition to all of that, the film provides strong female protagonists and a twist on the standard Disney-fied-idea of true love for the better, building on the progressive steps taken with Mulan, Tangled and Brave. Positive, uplifting and joyous entertainment.

2. Pacific Rim: Some would be appalled at the inclusion of this film on any sort of best of list, but it did exactly what it set out to do. Probably the most fun I had at a movie theater all year. Sure, it’s a bit far-fetched and over-the-top. But it’s giant robots fighting giant monsters. Awesome. It reignited the spark of childhood in me, reminding me of the joys of Power Rangers and imagination. And Idris Elba cancelled the apocalypse, how much more epic can you get?

1. Gravity: Breathtaking. Adrenaline pumping. I have never been on the edge of my seat, anxiously anticipating what was coming next like I was watching Gravity. And, it looks gorgeous. I was absorbed by space, wanting to drift away and float in the terrifying magnificence.

2014’s MOST ANTICIPATED (no order)

Interstellar: Phenomenal cast. Christopher Nolan. Space. Tantalizing teaser. What else do you need?

Transcendence: Another promising cast. Intriguing premise and first series of trailers.

X-Men: Days of Future Past: YES. X-Men are back, ideally solving the myriad of continuity issues between the original trilogy and First Class and bringing together the best from all of the movies. Xavier and Magneto were stellar in First Class and seeing them play off their older selves played by greats, Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellan, will be a treat. And the trailer looks epic.

Guardians of the Galaxy: Lots of weirdness here, but Marvel Studios has yet to really disappoint me. I’m skeptical of this, but given Marvel’s excellent track record, my adoration of superhero films and soft spot for sci-fi, my fingers are crossed for this one. Superheroes, one of whom is a gun-toting raccoon, and space. Perhaps this can become like a cross of The Avengers and Star Wars.


The Grand Budapest Hotel: Wes Anderson. Another phenomenal cast. The trailer promises it’ll be filled with Wes Anderson’s signature quirky wit.

No comments:

Post a Comment